From the Editor
GM, fellow tigers.
Axie, Splinterlands, and Alien Worlds are some of the pioneers of GameFi, but there’s a new player that’s taking the space forward. We're talking about a true blockchain gaming powerhouse—Gala Games.
An often heard critique of Web3 games is that they don’t have engaging gameplay. A series of new titles by Gala Games are challenging this notion. Let’s have a look.
Last week, @GalaGames opened up the alpha playtest for their new game, Superior. According to their website, Superior is a co-op, roguelite, third-person shooter based in a hyper-stylized universe where all the superheroes have turned into evil abominations.
Players start every session powerless and outgunned with the objective of defeating evil "superheroes" and taking away their powers for good.
Here are some initial impressions from trying the game this past weekend.
- Superior’s design is on-point. Its futuristic cyberpunk aesthetic looks super-good.
- As of now, the gameplay is a bit limited. You only get to shoot and melee attack a bunch of enemies. However, let’s not forget that this is just the Alpha playtest and the full game roll out is scheduled for Q4 2022.
- You don’t need to buy NFTs to play the game, but they’re required if you wish to upgrade your character. This creates real utility for the NFTs within the ecosystem.
- Going forward, the game needs to expand upon the lore of heroes and enemies.
Overall, we believe Superior is one of the best Web3 games in terms of gameplay and design that’ll be released this year. What’s even more exciting is that it’s not the only Gala game that is taking web3 gaming to the next level.
Check out the trailer:
Gala's Mirandus has also generated quite a buzz in the Web3 community. It’s an epic fantasy role-playing game (RPG) that's giving us some serious Skyrim vibes.
According to the Gala Games website, "In the game, players have absolute freedom of choice: they can set out into the wilderness alone to try their fortunes against the monsters of the deep woods and dungeons, join with one of the monarchs to serve as a knight in their court; or set up shop in one of the five great cities of the realm."
Furthermore, nearly every in-game item and character in Mirandus will be tokenized. allowing players to have true ownership over these assets. Apart from enjoying various storylines or missions, gamers can also set up businesses, services, etc. within the game’s virtual economy. There’s only one issue that we have with the game-you’ll need an Exemplar (NFT) to play it. But we think we can give Gala a pass on this one.
Here’s the gameplay reveal by On Chain Gaming:
The team that is building Mirandus has previously crafted popular web2 games like :
-World of Warcraft
-Fallout New Vegas
-Dungeons & Dragons Online
-The Lord of the Rings Online
-God of War 2
-The Outer Worlds
-The Last of Us: Part 2
Gala’s development blueprint is simple yet effective. Check it out:
- Build exciting games that people actually want to play.
- Bring together industry superstars
- Set a hard limit on the token supply.
- Make sure tokens have utility within the game’s economy.
Interestingly, that blueprint is reminiscent of games such as Bullieverse, Star Atlas, and Big Time, which may be the next big thing in Web3 gaming.
Gala is creating an ecosystem of amazing games and Web3 infrastructure. Check out their other games here.
Last week we were joined by Kyle Co-founder of KCC Games Guild, @ryan the OG game economist at Delphi Digital and Joel John Lead of VC investments at Ledger Prime. We covered topics such as the future of Web3 guilds and gaming models. Listen here
Web3 Gaming News
- Blockchain Gaming Publisher and Web3 Firm Animoca Brands Secures $110 Million
- Grant Warwick shares 40+ Exclusive Illuvium Leaks
- Gameta Play-to-Earn Launch on the BNB Chain
- South Korean Government is Now Working on a Metaverse Industry Promotion Act
- FIFA To Launch NFT Platform On Algorand (ALGO) Ahead Of The World Cup’s Kick-off
- Eternal Dragons Introduces Next Phase of Dragon Nesting
- Blockchain MMORPG Treeverse is Launching into Pre-Alpha this Q4
- Undead Blocks Ups the Stakes With $15K Tournament
Food for Thought
Our blog is one of the best resources for you to go deep into the world of Web3 games. We write about Web3 game economics, game asset reviews, tokenomics, and more.
Latest from our blog
Join Our Community
Our active Discord is the home for all discussions about Web3 gaming and Tegro news. Meet other Tegro members and stay in touch with our team.